Ask A Lawyer

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Getting off the Lease with your pesky ex-boyfriend

Q. I shared an apt with my boyfriend and I moved out. Both of our names were on the lease, but before I left the landlord checked the apt for damages, watched me turn over my set of keys to ex-boyfriend but refuses to remove my name from lease because as he quoted the ex-boyfriend has not had the electric turned back on. Can he do this?

A. I thought I knew where you were going with this, until the last two lines, but let’s see if I can sort it out.

You and your ex-boyfriend both signed the initial lease for the apartment. That makes you both liable for the rent on the apartment for the duration of the lease (which is a contract in which you agree to pay rent). As a result, the landlord is under no obligation to remove you from the lease, whether or not you still live there. Generally, since you both signed the lease, the landlord can come after either you, or your ex-boyfriend, or both, for any lease payments that are due for the duration of the lease, even if on or both of you move out.

To get your name off of the lease, when the end of the term is near, you should notify the landlord in writing that you will not be renewing the lease when it expires. Your lease should contain language about when you must give notice about non-renewal, so read it carefully. That should cover you for any payments after your lease expires.

As far as the issue about the electricity is concerned, I’m not certain what that has to do with the lease, or with the landlord. If the landlord is paying the utilities, and you’re reimbursing him for them, the electricity should be on and remain on during the duration of the lease. The landlord will then simply pay the electric bill out of each month’s rent. If, on the other hand, you and your ex-boyfriend had the utilities in one or both of your names, whoever is on the bill must pay for the utilities. I must confess that I’m at a loss as to what the electricity has to do with your name on the lease, so I’ll just say that you’ve got to pay for the electricity if your name is on the bill, and you don’t have to pay for the electricity if your name is not on the bill. If you’re on the bill by yourself and you’ve moved out, advise the utility and ask them to put the your boyfriend on in your place. They may ask for confirmation that he’s going to assume the bill, but you should be able to work that out.

17 Comments:

  • I am currently renting space for my business. My soon to be ex girlfriend is on the lease as well. Is there any way for me to have her name removed from the lease and I will continue to pay the rent on my own as I have always done? Is is necessary to rename my business and have the landlord provide a new lease with the new name?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:24 AM  

  • Hey there, anonymous. Thanks for the comment/question. I'll respond here, but give you you're own entry as well, in case you can't find your way back here. (And, of course, all the usual disclaimers apply!)

    I'm assuming from what you write that your soon-to-be-ex (let's call her your STBE) is not a partner in the business or otherwise connected. If she's not, you shouldn't have to worry about the business -- unless she's going to litigate with you over use of the name, or who gets the business, or she claims she is a part of the business, or a million different other things....wow, it gets complicated, doesn't it? But, for the sake of argument, let's assume it's your business, and she has no claim to it.

    You can get her off the lease by asking the landlord to give you a new lease, with you (or the business, depending on how the lease is drafted) as the sole leasor. However, the landlord might not be inclined to do that because, as I mentioned in the post that spawned your question, the landlord has both you and your STBE on the lease, so he can go after either of you for rent.

    For example, if you were having trouble making rent one month, he could go after your STBE. Of course, then she'd come after you for your share, and could even sue you for your share (depending on how ugly things were between you -- which is why it pays to play nice). From a legal perspective, it's better for the landlord to have two folks on the lease; he can collect from either.

    However, if you can convince your landlord that you'll make good on the rent, and that there won't be any problems in the future (and maybe offer him additional security on the lease), he might be willing to take her off the lease and leave only you on it.

    Of course, the parts of this scenario I don't know can complicate things. For instance, if she actually does have a piece of the business, and the lease is in the business's name, you might have to buy her out to get her off the lease and out of the business. Or, she should claim to be part of the business, even if she's not, which could also lead to litigation.

    You definitely should have a landlord/tenant lawyer take a look at the lease. It would be worth a few bucks for an initial consult if you've got a complicated business/social thing going on. Good luck.

    By Blogger David Kendall, at 12:46 PM  

  • Hi i have a similar situation as far as signing a lease with an ex boyfriend,the only difference is we were moving in together to another state that he was already located in and I have never moved in or had my own copy of keys.Literally three days after i signed the papers he broke up with me.How can I go about requesting my name be taken off being that the lease is only a month old.He keeps asking me to wait for him to tell the landlord and go through him to handle it, whats the best way to go about this ?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:34 AM  

  • Hi. i kinda have a similar situation from these other ones. but i already have a lawyer. well i got a second opinion. i have a joint lease with my ex boyfriend. we both moved out and it has been terminated. i already paid my half and hes not going to pay. i have one lawyer saying that he will write the apartment complex a letter stating to get my name off the lease and that she cannot send me to collections. and i have another lawyer saying that this cannot be done. why are both lawyers telling me different things. i am a little confused. if i go with the first layer, saying he'll write the letter, will it come back and bite me in the butt or should i go with it? what would you do in this situation? (state of Florida)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:28 PM  

  • It is terrible when that happens, but it is worse when you are in a foreign country! Yes, that happened to me. My boyfriend and I had decided to rent apartments in buenos aires  since we moved out to Argentina for a years. Six monhs later we broke up and I did not know how to react. Fortunately, the people from the rental company were very understanding. They waited for the time we needed to decide who was going to move out. He ended up paying for the utilities and expenses of the whole year and I paid rent each month!

    By Blogger Carla, at 6:57 AM  

  • I put my boyfriend on the lease to my trailor i just broke up with him because he was tearing things up he broke two windiws n cut the breaks on my car i have a police report of all this can i use that n the proof of damages to get him off the lease?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:18 AM  

  • I am currently living in a 2 bedroom apartment with my friend his and girl and now my ex gf. We added her on our lease a few months ago hoping she wouldn't be an issue. Now we all refuse to live with her and it takes al four parties to sign her off on the lease. We would really appreciate it if she can be out by the first. What can we do? Is there a majority lease agreement?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:45 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:18 PM  

  • Because my fiance is mad at me can he go to rental.office and take me off the lease

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:28 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Autor, at 12:56 PM  

  • My landlord is trying to stick me with my ex half of the rent after he broke the lease and moved out. I was still paying my portion of the rent. He refused to sign the documents to get off the lease and refused to hand over keys. What to do? Can she do that or should she go after him for his portion

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:11 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Adele, at 7:18 PM  

  • Hi there, i have signed a lease with someone and left after two months..i have asked him to get me off the lease and he refuses..i have signed myself off..what happens if he refuses to pay rent while i am still on lease even though i have signed my party off?
    I greatly appreciate any info..
    Thank you so much.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:59 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:51 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Adele, at 8:22 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Joe, at 9:44 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Michelle Carlos, at 2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home